Troublesome Disguises cover

Troublesome Disguises cover
Painting by Titian. Venus at her ablutions. This novel is now available in audiobook, read by the author.

Tuesday 18 October 2011

Each disc of course comes with the full digital text and a cover, and I've done some artwork for the disc itself- which I have drawn on every disc. I'll put an example up soon.

Music. I like listening to music when I'm writing or, more often, thinking about writing. During the writing of Troublesome Disguises, I found myself listening a lot to Liege and Lief and What We Did On Our Holidays, by Fairport Convention. Particularly, Reynardine and She Moves Through the Fair. Ah, Sandy Denny- what a voice she had. Great descriptive acoustic guitars, too.

McGuffins? No mystery plot is complete without one. They add a psychological charge, create a premonition, give a sense of foreboding. And often focus or distract the audience/reader's attention, when it should be elsewhere. A McGuffin is a catalyst. It affects the chemistry of the characters, but does not itself change. In that famous movie starring Bogart and Astor, it was the black statue of a bird.

No comments:

Post a Comment