Troublesome Disguises cover

Troublesome Disguises cover
Painting by Titian. Venus at her ablutions. This novel is now available in audiobook, read by the author.

Tuesday 18 October 2011

I have decided to post the first chapters of all the Vallemont novels here over the coming days. First up will be Troublesome Disguises. (Forgot- it's already up in audio form, so I'll post the others instead.)

Obviously, without all the hype and publicity that accompanies most books these days, by celebrities and best selling authors, I do not expect my books to raise much interest. But the audiobooks, I believe, could make an impact, especially when I have produced a few more of them. I intend to keep writing these stories- not to make money (though it's always welcome), but because I enjoy writing and researching them. And I am beginning to sort of like recording them. Yes, I am starting to like the sound of my own voice. Was that Echo who went down that tragic path in the Greek myths?

I want to show that it is possible to get one's novels out there, without publishers and the media- via the author's own voice. I will get better at reading them. Honest! Wish me luck. Everybody needs a great big slice of luck in this life, no matter how hard you try- you always need a little good fortune. And you have to try and help it along.

Phobias, obsessions, hobbies and interests? I try to give my characters these. Not every one of them, but certainly all my key characters have one or the other of them. I like them to be busy when someone interrupts them. It's a little writer's trick I taught myself, but have only developed it fully in the Vallemont novels.

Pathetic fallacy. I personally try to avoid this. Prefer to think of nature as indifferent, random and even a little cruel. Just a choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment